It looks like living green isn’t just a fad – people have caught on and learned to enjoy the benefits of becoming earth-conscious. Purchasing products and appliances that perform the best and last longer with less consumption of energy, less emission and less of an impact when disposed of, will make a huge positive impact on more than just a family’s budget.
As a part of Rancho Mission Viejo, the new housing developments including Gavilan (55+) and Sendero are built with an array of “green” fixtures and materials. Situated on a beautiful piece of land neighboring The Reserve at Rancho Mission Viejo, these developing villages do their part in being responsible toward the environment. Listed are some features that will be found in Sendero and Gavilan homes of the Rancho Mission Viejo area.
- Tankless Water Heaters: Rather than losing energy during standby mode from a storage water heater, a tankless model will heat the water directly and as needed, creating an endless supply of hot water.
- Energy Star® Appliances, Fans and Entry Doors: Energy Star® Appliances have been designed to consume less water and electricity than conventional household appliances. They are built to perform and to last without excessive wearing.
- Water-Efficient Fixtures: Low-flow fixtures conserve large amounts of water, and do not always compromise pressure where needed. This is one of the most effective resource-saving methods.
- Low-E Vinyl Windows: Low-E refers to low emissivity. These windows are made with a metallic coating inside of the insulating glass, which inhibits heat transfer and reduces fading of interiors by reflecting long-wave light rays carrying heat and UV.
- Weather-Sensing Irrigation Systems: Using rain sensors, temperature freeze sensors and soil moisture sensors, these systems will set and adjust water applications in response to the changing weather. This is a significant method of water prevention, paying for unused resources and harming landscape from over watering.
- Insulated Garage Doors: Thermal resistance and non drafting garage doors are ideal in saving energy from cooling or heating a home.
- Radiant Barrier Sheathing: Helping to reflect the suns radiant heat, this will slow heating of the attic so that cooling costs and energy may be reduced.
- High-Efficiency A/C: By using less energy, optimizing performance and reducing emissions, a significant amount of energy is saved by using a high-efficiency A/C unit.
- Low-VOC Carpets, Paints and Finishes: Volatile Organic Compounds, VOCs, are unstable, carbon-containing compounds that readily vaporize into the air. Just as fast as these materials are installed into a home, VOCs are emitted and air quality is affected. Materials and finishes with with low or no VOCs are much safer and earth-friendly alternatives.